Sunday, May 2, 2010

Timeline

This timeline will help all of you out there who are thinking about applying to join the Peace Corps - or for those of you who are curious to know how the process of applying works.

September 15, 2009: Turned in my completed application. A complete application includes a good few pages of background information, experience (work, volunteer & life), monetary obligations, legalities, and two essays, three letters of recommendation and an updated resume.

While applying, I got in touch with a recruiter in Dallas, her name is Samantha Garvin, and was such a help! After applying, a recruiter will get in touch with you to tell you if you need to fill out specific addendums to focus in on your skills that relate to certain programs.

November 2, 2009: Due to my lack of volunteerism, my recruiter suggested I temporarily withdraw my application so I don't have to re-apply when I have adequate volunteer service. After a couple of months of inactivity, Peace Corps may drop your application (of course they will contact you beforehand) because they have such a large percentage of applicants.

January 15, 2010: I received a call from Samantha earlier this week to set up an interview and reactivate my application due to an influx of money and the probability of opening up new programs for this year. On the 15th of January I had an interview with Samantha Garvin in Dallas, TX.

January 25, 2010: I was recruited for a Community Development program with a Health emphasis in French-Speaking Sub-Saharaan Africa departing either this summer (June - August 2010) or sometime early next year (January - March 2011).

Between my nomination and invitation I was volunteering at Doug's House on a consistent basis, keeping in touch with my recruiter and filling out / updating addendums, and finding different not-for-profits to volunteer at that would benefit me in accordance with the Peace Corps. Also, you will receive an in-depth medical packet that you need to finish as soon as possible. This includes eye-care, dental records, and a complete medical record and immunization history. For some volunteers, this is the most stressful part of applying...and it may take the longest. For me, I completed all paperwork in a weekend, and mailed it back within a week and a half.

February 17, 2010: I mailed my complete medical packet.

February 26, 2010: My dental record was passed & complete within the Peace Corps.

March 7, 2010: My medical packet is complete and passed onto the Placement Office in Washington DC.

My communication with the Peace Corps was now with the Placement Office in DC instead of with my recruiter in Dallas. I was contacted and asked to update a few addendums and my resume for further consideration.

March 20, 2010: I received a call from a placement officer who asked me about my application, my preferences, my availability and then told me that I'm invited to serve in a French-Speaking country in West Africa! He said he would mail my invitation the next day and I should receive it in about 3 days (Friday, or Monday).

March 26, 2010: Invitation in the mail!! A big packet full of little folders (domestic contact, finances and insurance, passport and visa, etc.) You must accept or decline the invitation within 10 days of receiving the packet. Passport & visa paperwork needs to be completed and mailed immediately. Within 10 days of accepting your invitation, you need to submit a word document of your updated resume and a statement of aspiration to your country of service.

June 21, 2010: Orientation date in Philadelphia, PA

June 23, 2010 - August 24, 2010: Pre-service training in Ouahigouya, Burkina Faso

August 25, 2010 - August 25, 2012: Dates of Service!

Again, I just want to point out this is how MY application process was. This doesn't mean this is average, or how yours will flow if you decide to apply or if you're currently in the process of applying...each person has a different application process that relies on their own experience, their volunteerism, degree, etc.

When I find out more information about the last three bolded dates, I'll update y'all. Until then... au revoir et bon nuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment