Sunday, September 19, 2010

Happy Birthday Devon! You're TWENTY-FIVE!!

Saturday, 24 July 2010

The past few days have been a little rough...we moved in with our host family: mom, dad, three daughters and a son. The family is Muslim - but the father only chooses to have one wife. His reasoning: one woman is enough trouble for him - you add more women and jealousy flourishes and problems arise. So true. The family is very nice - so accommodating and welcoming and non-intrusive! Which is all explained by the father having worked for the Peace Corps in the past. It definitely has an effect on how he treats us. The PC does a really good job at "preparing," "training" and "briefing" the host families and employees here about Americans and what we value: independence, time, individuality, space, etc. And our host family is doing a wonderful job at respecting those things.

So why have the past few days been a little rough? The only thing frustrating is language - I know. I know it will come. I'm just being very impatient! It's so frustrating to not be able to communicate with my host family - and it's really embarrassing and insulting when my roommate is having in-depth conversations in French (her first language) with our host father and then I struggle to talk about my cats we had (when I was younger) back home giving birth all at the same time. I guess I just have to laugh at myself. I'm also trying to learn more words in Moore...problem with that: my terrible, terrible memory. It's ridiculous and so...what's the word?...frustrating! It happens with both French and Moore. gah.

Ca vas aller
Ca vas aller
It will go
It will go
It Will Go

It know it will - but it's also so intimidating.

On another note - I got a new battery for my phone and was able to talk to my mom today for the first time since she's been back from visiting Bean in Kyrgyzstan! I asked her all about it: she said it was weird for her to be back in the States! Just after 2 weeks she felt that way - imagine 2 years! But she also said it was really hard - she couldn't communicate with anyone and the living quarters seems like the same as what I've got here - concrete houses, bucket baths, latrines (maybe) I don't know if Bean has electricity or not...I know she doesn't have running water. Mom said her time was a little fun, but "fun" was going to a place with running water. ha. Sounds like here.

I really can sympathize with Bean and the language - I feel her anxiety and frustration - she was learning the local language and BAM she was yanked out of there and is now put in a situation where she has to learn a whole new language! She practically had to start all over again. I can only imagine how frustrating that would be. Good luck Beannie! and I really do hope she does good things at her new site!

I worked out today
and it felt G R E A T!
I am so weak though!!! Not great. I hope to start a routine and continually work out - I don't want to just lose weight here and lose all my muscle - I'd rather gain some muscle! Cha!

Break a Sweat!
Pump that Iron!
Beak would be Proud!!

No comments:

Post a Comment