Saturday, October 2, 2010

Chef du Village

Mardi: 31 Août 2010

People I've met:
Chef du Peuhl (Issa)
L'Imam
Chef du Village
Le Pastor

This morning the rain was pouring so I didn't leave for the CSPS (the health center where I work) until after 8:40 - I was supposed to meet my major (the head cheese at the CSPS, a nurse) at 8:00 so we could leave to meet the chefs today. There are four chefs of this village, one for each ethnic group: Peuhl, Gourunsi, & Mossi and one who oversees all: Chef du Village.

I swear, my major thinks I'm scared of everything. He views me as a very weak girl. Great. :\ We crossed two "rivers" today - these rivers were produced by the massive amount of rain that fell last night and this morning. Good thing I brought my rain boots from Washington!! Otherwise, I would have cold, wrinkly feet and probably some parasite by now. So, to elaborate on this river we crossed: I'd have to start by saying the major wanted to ride bikes because we were going a long ways away to meet these important people. I said that was not necessary and that I really like to walk. So we get started on our voyage. We trek about two miles overall (not bad). Through trees and over rivers (if you will). It was great! So beautiful - and I'm really glad to know how to get out of the "hustle and bustle" of his village now. But dear lord! The major was so scared and concerned for my well being. He swore I would be washed away by this "raging river" we crossed. C'mon now. It was just water rushing down a small slope from excess rain. I've been crossing deep ditches, rivers and creeks since I was a wee little one! Pas de problem. At one point he grabbed my arm and said WAIT! STOP! NO!! and began to try to convince me to get on the other man's back as he crossed the river. What?! NO!! Eventually we crossed the river, after my persistence and showing them I would be fine!

Overall - it was a good morning. We met the Chef du Peuhl (Issa!) and he gave me two chickens and a good handful of corn! Yum. His wife is crazy (literally a feu) and blind - I shook her hand and scared her youngest son... on accident... But I did, at least I hope, change a little boys perspective on les blancs! I shook his hand after he was all sorts of scared, shedding tears and being very weary of where I was in accordance to him; so I shook his hand and he calmed down after I said "yaa soma" which means ça va which means it's okay, it's good... and I spoke to him in a wee bit of Mooré and French. It felt really good.

After we left we started walking more and more and came across some AMAZING rock formations! Beautiful. I wish I had my camera with me so you could glance at these 4x5s that could never really and accurately depict the beauty I saw this morning. But I do have two full years for all that.

Side note.

I've decided it's really difficult to speak in broken French (as I do) to someone who is also new or not well versed in the language. Really difficult. I think I'll really start learning Mooré soon. It's impossible to do anything without it here. I wish we would have spoken or had more Mooré classes during training. The staff should have emphasized it more.

Welp.
Time for a nap.

1 comment:

  1. You need to learn Moore fast!!! Geezors! You're gonna getstolen away if you can't communicate or you might accidentally call someone a bad name.

    ReplyDelete